Medical Malpractice Insurance Primer
Washington Medical Malpractice Basics
- 1 company comprises more than 50% of the market.
- 3 companies comprise approximately 70% of the market.
- Number of Physicians: 19,598
- Number of Medical Malpractice Claims between 2009 and 2013
- Commercial Insurance Companies – 3,211
- Self-Insured Entities – 1,857
- Risk Retention Groups – 243
In 1989, the Supreme Court of Washington determined that a cap on non-economic damages such as pain and suffering is unconstitutional. Currently, there is no limit in any category and no patient compensation fund. There is a mandatory arbitration process for medical malpractice suits, but it cannot interfere with a person’s right to trial by jury.
Statute of Limitations
In Washington, a claimant has 3 years from the time of the alleged incident causing an injury, or 1 year from the date he or she knew or should have known about the injury to file a medical malpractice suit up to a maximum of 8 years from the date of the incident. There is an exception for minors that gives the minor until the age of 18 to file a suit.
While there are 3 main companies writing most of the malpractice insurance coverage for physicians in Washington, there are plenty of other options. Because of the stability of the market, there are many highly rated insurance companies with competitive rates offering policies in the state.
Summary of the Washington Medical Malpractice Insurance Market
Following a challenging market in the early 2000s, Washington’s medical malpractice insurance market began to stabilize around 2005. Since that time, insurance premiums have trended downward to a point that is comparable to the market in most states currently. Rates are stable, claims are down, and there is competition in the market, giving physicians and surgeons plenty of options for coverage at affordable rates with highly rated companies. According to the Office of the Insurance Commissioner, medical malpractice insurance companies have been profitable in the last several years.
External Links & Resources for Washington Physicians & Surgeons
- Washington State Medical Association (WSMA)
- Washington State Hospital Association (WSHA)
- Washington State Podiatric Medical Association (WSPMA)
- Washington State Medical Oncology Society (WSMOS)
- Washington Ambulatory Surgery Center Association (WASCA)
- King County Medical Society (KCMS)
- Spokane County Medical Society (SCMS)
Want to learn more about medical malpractice insurance policies in your state? Call our main office in in St. Louis, Missouri, at (855) 823-5283 for all your questions about malpractice policies in Washington. Get your free quote today!
START SAVING NOW!
Fill out the form below to request your free, no-obligation quotes or call us toll-free at (855) 823-5283 today.
Why Choose eQuoteMD™ to Obtain Lower Premiums for Medical Malpractice Insurance for your Practice?
Multiple Rate Quotes
Average Savings over 20%
Quality Coverage Guaranteed
Occurrence or Claims-Made
Tail Coverage Policies
Every Specialty & Facility
For first year physicians
Top Rated Companies