Medical Malpractice Insurance Primer
Oregon Medical Malpractice Basics
- 2 companies comprise over 63% of the market.
- 36% of Oregon physicians are primary care.
- Number of licensed physicians in 2012: 12,361
The Oregon Medical Malpractice Insurance market has remained very stable and recently has shown premium decreases for physicians that practice in Oregon. Insurance rates are very competitive, and there are plenty of options for physicians to consider. Compared to many other states, malpractice claims in Oregon are low in severity and frequency.
- No current noneconomic damage cap (previous cap of $500k declared unconstitutional in 1999)
- In cases of wrongful death caused by medical negligence, there is a $500,000 damage cap
Oregon Senate Bill 483, passed in 2013, was implemented on July 1, 2014. This bill allows for Early Discussion and Resolution (EDR) in medical malpractice cases. EDR provides an alternative to suing a physician for medical negligence and gives both patients and their physicians a chance to have an honest and open discussion about an adverse outcome. The bill had the support of the Oregon Medical Association as well as the Oregon Trial Lawyers Association. Learn more about SB 483 on our blog.
Statute of Limitations
In Oregon, patients have 2 years from the time of an incident to file a medical malpractice lawsuit. As in other states, there are exceptions to this limit such as in the case of minors. In some cases, the 2 years may begin at the date of discovery of a problem caused by negligence.
External Links & Resources for Oregon Physicians & Surgeons
- Oregon Medical Association (OMA)
- Oregon Association of Hospitals and Health Systems (OAHHS)
- Oregon Medical Board
- Oregon MGMA
- Oregon Academy of Family Physicians (OAFP)
- Central Oregon Medical Society
- Marion-Polk County Medical Society (MPMED)
- The Northwest Society of Plastic Surgeons
Want to learn more about medical malpractice insurance policies in your state? Call our main office in St. Louis, Missouri, at (855) 823-5283 for all your questions about malpractice policies in Oregon. Get your free quote today!
START SAVING NOW!
Fill out the form below to request your free, no-obligation quotes or call us toll-free at (855) 823-5283 today.
Why Choose eQuoteMD™ to Obtain Lower Premiums for Medical Malpractice Insurance for your Practice?
Multiple Rate Quotes
Average Savings over 20%
Quality Coverage Guaranteed
Occurrence or Claims-Made
Tail Coverage Policies
Every Specialty & Facility
For first year physicians
Top Rated Companies